Well, it’s been one week and I am pretty sure… no, positive, that Strange Brew is ready for the keg.
After much sanitisation of equipment (Keg, Keg bits and bobs, Siphon tubes, bowls for sugar and gelatine, etc) I was ready to begin.
First I measured out 30 grams of white brewing sugar into a bowl and added 1 sachet of gelatine. I then retrieved the fementing bin:
I took the last Hydrometer reading, which came out at 1.012. So, based on the OG of 1.043 it should work out at about 4.06% ABV if my calculations are right. If they’re wrong, please feel free to correct me. Still not 100% sure about calculating the alcohol content due to the fact there are a number of different formulas out there.
Once this was done I positioned the keg on the floor – with some towels in place to catch any spillage – and was ready to rock and/or roll:
I began the siphon with the age old, but potentially bacteria compromising, sucking-on-the-tube-technique (I will be buying a better piece of siphoning kit soon – likely one with a pump to avoid possible contamination) and collected around a pint in a measuring jug.
Adding some boiling water I then stirred in the gelatine, sugar mix until it was dissolved. Whilst this was going on the beer was passing nicely from the fermenter into the keg:
With the last of the beer locked away air tight in the keg, all that was left to do was store it safely away:
So… that’s that. I’m hoping that it’ll be in a state of good drinkability (I’m making up words) within the next 2-4 weeks. Patience is a virtue, apparently, so if it needs longer so be it.
Early signs are good – it had a nice aroma, sweet and not too overpowering.
Once the beer is ready – which could be for one of the last weekends of the 6 nations, so I’m not sure how long it will last – I’ll update on the outcome. Taste, colour, etc.
For now, all there is to do is wait and start planning the next recipe. I’m thinking a stout…