Ok… that title may put some people off trying my first extract home brew, but it is purely metaphorical – honest!
I’ve brewed kit beer in the past, but this is the first time I have tried Extract Brewing. My goal is to try this method once or twice – to get a bit more experience – before moving onto all-grain brewing.
It’s all in the name – isn’t it?
I’ve decided to call the beer “Strange Brew”. This is mainly an homage to the classic Cream song, however given this is my first attempt at Extract Brewing, the name could turn out to be very fitting!
As for the recipe, I’ve used the first recipe from “Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy” by Dave Line – Fullers E.S.B.
The copy of the book I own is actually pretty old (published in 1984 – hey that’s just older than me), I inherited it from my Granddad – who was a very keen home brewer and who gave me some of his equipment before he passed away.
My plan is to base much of my early brews around the recipes in this book – there are many in here from Breweries of the 70’s that no longer exist. So it’ll be interesting to see how they turn out.
Anyway, to the good stuff – The ‘Strange Brew’ brewing process.
- Medium Malt Extract
- Crushed Crystal Malt
- Soft Brown Sugar (not sure about this, but following the recipe)
- Goldings Hops
- Beer Yeast (I forget what I used)
- Irish Moss
- White Brewing Sugar
So, I started by adding the malt extract, crystal malt, gypsum and Irish moss to around 3 gallons of hot water. Then added in the 2/3 of the hops and boiled for 35mins:
Due to this being my first time using the boiler, I think the water may have been a tad on the cool side and it took a while to get to the boil (live and learn).
After the boil was over, I switched off the heat, waited around 5 mins and added some more of the hops. Then once the wort was cool:
I transferred it into the fermenting bin – using a mash bag as a sieve/massive tea bag. I washed the wort with boiled kettle water to get the last of the goodness out.
Next I dissolved the brown sugar in water and added to the bin, before topping it up to the 4 1/2 gallon mark with cold water.
My gravity reading was 1.043 and the beer is now comfortably fermenting away in my beer/coat cupboard.
So, that’s it for now. All I’ve got is a few long can’t-wait-for them-to-pass days until part 2 begins – syphoning into my pressure barrel ready for the 2nd fermentation.
At this point I’m quite excited/anxious to see how it turns out. Fingers crossed….